Wednesday, January 20, 2010

RD Racer Version 2.0


Last night I completed the teardown of the next RD400 "donor". The "donor" RD is a 1978 US model that was about 70% complete and barely running on one cylinder. I competed the teardown in about 2 hours and now the fun begins.


My goal for this RD is to go a bit more radical than I did with the first RD. I will be using a RZ350 front end (forks, triples, rotors & brakes), a modified FZ600 swingarm in the rear, and RZ350 wheels front and rear. I will encase the bike in a 1986 TZ250 full fairing and bodywork. The engine will not be as heavily modified as the previous RD project and I'll keep the stock Mikuni 28's with a 2 into 1 intake. For the ignition I'll be using a generation 2 Nuetronics unit and the expansion chambers will be old Stage-II units.


After I degrease the frame and stock swingarm, it's off to the sandblaster and a couple of hours with the grinder. While the frame is being sandblasted I'll start the teardown on the engine.


This project will require more fabrication than the previous RD, but I am in no hurry to complete the project. If everything goes perfect (that's not going to happen), I could be done by summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment