Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Wife (aka "The Gate-Keeper")


First let me say that my wife is an extraordinary individual, she is a loving wife and my best friend. She is everything that I have ever wanted and we have been happily married for 25 years. BUT....She hates motorcycles and totally disapproves of my "Two - Wheeled Fetish".


The trouble started when she returned home from a trip to her sister's and discovered a Suzuki GSXR750 in the garage. I had mentioned my thoughts of purchasing the Gixxer and she responded, "NO, motorcycles are too dangerous and you will get yourself killed!". I took her words as a challenge and purchased the Gixxer as soon as she left town. Within weeks of purchasing the GSXR my wife stumbled upon some of my Gixxer on-board video, documenting me carving up some twisty roads and exceeding 140mph on several straights. Yes, I know such behavior is illegal and irresponsible, but it is also thrilling and fun! When I get on the Gixxer it speaks to me like a devil possessing my sole, "I want to go faster, quicker, faster! Carve that corner! I need to see 10,0000 rpm, NOW!" The bike is "evil fast" and I survived the initial first year of "speed intoxication" before I regained my sanity. Now my wife just pretends that the Gixxer does not exist. "Motorcycle? What motorcycle?" She will not speak of it and shows absolutely no interest in it. Total denial! This said, you can imagine how she reacted when I drove up with a truck load of disassembled Yamaha RD's and then proceeded to deposit said pile in her garage space. Not a happy camper! The solution....... A brand new, high-end, washer and drier set, complete with a laundry room remodel! I built all new custom shelving for the laundry room, applied a new coat of paint and then installed the new appliances. She was happy and equilibrium had been restored to our state of marital bliss. Now I can begin "the build"!

No comments:

Post a Comment