Monday, April 11, 2011

Shake-Down Rides


So I thought I would finish the "Project RD400 Racer" in one summer, what a joke. I'll never finish, I'll just keep tinkering!

I reset the MZ ignition back to 2mm BTDC and the bike runs fine on hi-octane pre-mix. The powerband is still as extreme as ever, but the 2mm BTDC seems to be a reliable compromise. The RD comes "onto the pipe" at about 4,500 rpm and explodes all the way up to the redline.

Next I'll play will the main-jets on the carbs.

The first couple of shade-down rides have gone well, without any major issues or failures. The bike is a blast to ride and the powerband is exhilarating! I have been keeping the rides under 60 miles in length and keeping the speeds down.

For Sunday's ride I installed some new knee-sliders on my leathers and focused on cornering and handling. The RD is very predictable in the corners and it's quite easy to get a knee down on the sweeping corners. I have a long way to go on the suspension setup, but the journey should be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment