Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mystery Clutch


Buttoned up the left side engine case and discovered "the world's stiffest clutch". Actually "stiff" does not adequately describe the feel of the clutch, maybe "fused" or "unmovable" might be a better descriptor. I can actually snap a new clutch cable in less than two dozen attempts at disengaging the clutch, holy crap! I'm not sure if the problem is related to the clutch pack thickness, a bent plate, or maybe some kind of "super clutch springs", but now I must once again remove the right-side engine cover. I have read about "friction plate swell", but I have never actually seen it... Who knows?

I have some extra EBC friction plates and some stock clutch springs to play with. I'll measure the clutch-pack thickness and mix the springs (3 Ferrado and 3 OEM stock), then test the whole setup before remounting the right-side cover.

It is the journey that counts, not the destination. Right?

I have started eyeballing the heap that is my second RD400 and dreaming about the start of my next build. Pure masochism! Not sure how the second build will end up, but I am thinking "Street Tracker", something I can ride two-up with my wife. I am also not going to modify the engine as much, so that I can let my daughter ride the bike without feelings of dread and nervousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment